Any Adult Child with a Serious Illness Needs a Health Care Power of Attorney

Having a child who is critically ill is the worst nightmare for every parent. This can be even more problematic when your child is legally classified as an adult because once they turn 18, you do not have the automatic ability to make decisions for them or see their health care records.

If your child is of college-age or has turned 18 in their senior year of high school and is taken to the hospital when you were not around, the hospital legally is not able to provide you with information about their condition without proper consent. If your child is critically ill and has passed out and is unable to provide consent, this can create a medical nightmare for you and your loved ones.

Make sure that you consider the needs of the entire family when crafting a health care power of attorney and providing appropriate consent that aligns with HIPAA requirements.

An estate planning lawyer can help you create these documents based on who needs to receive what details and create these documents for your entire family including any adult children who are currently coping with a serious illness and rely on your assistance to manage it or help with their health care concerns. For more information, schedule a consultation with an estate planning lawyer.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *